Social Media Policy
The Canadian Association for Security and Intelligence Studies (CASIS) is dedicated to being an interdisciplinary, diverse, and inclusive forum for informed debate on security and intelligence topics. Our social media policy reflects this function and guides the organization’s conduct and engagement with the public on social media platforms. Social media can be defined as web platforms that allow users to social network and share information with other users (e.g. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, etc.).
Posting and Sharing
- CASIS will post on its social media to promote its own events, the events of CASIS Vancouver, and select non-partisan research-based organizations, non-profits, and academic institutions, such as the University of Ottawa’s Centre for International Policy Studies (CIPS), and the Canadian Network for Research on Terrorism, Security and Society (TSAS).
- CASIS may also tag or retweet the posts of Government of Canada organizations that are related to CASIS events or initiatives. This includes initiatives such as the 2022 CASIS Essay Prize, sponsored by the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS).
- CASIS will adhere to its commitment to diversity and inclusion when posting and engaging on social media platforms.
- CASIS respects individuals’ right to free speech and freedom of expression online and welcomes discussion and debate. However, CASIS has a zero-tolerance policy for hate or discrimination of any kind. CASIS reserves the right to delete any comments that it considers inappropriate or unacceptable. CASIS may also delete off topic comments in order to foster discussion about the topics shared on its page.
- CASIS social media operators may respond to comments or direct messages in a respectful manner to answer questions relating to its objectives, its events, and its initiatives.
- CASIS serves as a non-partisan, interdisciplinary, and inclusive forum to provide informed debate on security and intelligence issues. Thus, CASIS will not provide commentary or an opinion as an organization on social media.
- CASIS will not promote the personal posts of security and intelligence experts/pundits, academics, or journalists on its social media accounts. The organization may, however, share quotations or video clips of speakers and panelists from professional events, which may inherently include their professional and/or personal opinions.
- The use of personal social media accounts by CASIS Board Members and the views expressed by these individuals are personal and do not reflect the views of the organization.
- Social media accounts belonging to CASIS will not be regularly monitored and the organization is not required to respond to messages or comments within a specified period of time.